Hello there Family!!
Sorry that this email is late this week. We had a very eventful morning! First we went to the Food Pantry - it was wonderful to just be out amongst the people of this area and so serve them. We took a member with us and it was cool because the whole time she was like, "I love this! This is the funnest thing I have done in weeks!" Don't get me wrong, we were wiped out after those 3 hours, but it felt amazing! I promise you that the fastest way to brighten you day is to brighten someone else's day. That is a fact. Then we went and celebrated! We went to the Talladega Superspeedway!! (:
Fun facts:
-Talladega is the fastest Nascar track. The cars have these things on them to limit how fast they can go. I think the max is like 250 mph or something like that.
-Nascar tracks are slanted on the corners! It is a 33 degree upward slant on each corner. So literally they are almost completely sideways when going around the corners, that is why they have to go so fast! The pictures that I got do NOT do it justice, but just imagine a steep hill. So steep that you can't even walk up it that is 4 stories high. That is a really crazy turn.
- Out of all of the tracks, the Talladega speedway is known for their parties. Yup, that's right. Lots of rednecks, drunk, eating fried oreos for a whole week before the race actually happens. Things are fixin' to get wild here. (They have their own jail, and hospital at the track) hhaaha
- Talladega is the biggest track - 188 laps = 500 mile race (approximately 4 hours)
- the grand stand holds 200,000 people.
This is Talladega!
So that was kind of fun to see. Probably a once in a lifetime experience. Y'all got to see it!
Well this week has been all kinds of wonderful! We have seen so many miracles this week! Here is one funny one: Thursday night when we got home I got mail! And then when we pulled up to our apartment and got out of the car I noticed this beautiful box sitting by our door. A PACKAGE! My heart jumped. I was so excited that I literally frolicked over to the door, grabbed the box and ran in. (: (Thank you cortney and trent for the package!!) Well, about 2 minutes later we get a knock on our door.... very uncommon. It was our neighbor who witnessed the whole frolicking thing, who came to point out that I had left the keys in the door. That was a miracle. It could have been really bad if we left those there all night!
Sister Conant and I started doing this really wonderful thing this week. It is called a Purification Challenge. Basically you just seek to eliminate all things that 'poke' at the Spirit. For instance, we are paying close attention to the kind of music we listen to. Even though we don't have any music that is against mission rules, there is still some that is better than others. It is cool to really choose the best things, not just the good things. I have notice that even though it is hard, with the Lord's help it is possible. The Spirit is so strong when we are seeking to do the best, and be the best, and really only fill our minds with the best things. We have seen miracles this week, and I know that it is partly because of this challenge and our focus on doing things that will build our Spirits.
This week started off with a wonderful exchange with Sister Platt. I love her! I am grateful for the opportunity to be able to serve around her again. She is an example of kindness, Christ like leadership, and complete joy in the work. I learned so much from her, and we had a GREAT time remembering our time together in Clanton. We also had some amazing Emmaus experiences! We went to teach this women, Marquita, who Sister Conant and I had found the night before. It was dark, and we were lost, so we asked her for directions. That turned into a full blown lesson! Miracle. The Spirit was so strong when we went back to teach her the next day as she explained to us that she had really been praying for some guidance. She recognized that God had truly sent us to her the night before as an answer to her prayers. God is so good!
I am so grateful for y'all. You are the best! How is your note taking going during meetings? I am still using the stars, and it is going great! I love y'all SO Much!
Thank you so much for all of the birthday wishes! Next time you see me I will be officially 21 - that makes me old.
I love you BIG time!
Sister Casperson
No comments:
Post a Comment