Monday, January 13, 2014

Are you're ears painted on?

Hello!  What a wild week it has been for y'all!  Looks like everyone survived it well!  That is a blessing. 
I did get the 100 day BOM reading journal.  I am so excited!  I am currently in Mosiah, so I can't decide if I am going to read from two spots at one time or just put my other study on hold for 100 days.  I am really excited though!  The journal is great! (: pigs.. haha There is a sister here that loves pigs MORE than me.  I didn't know that was possible, but she does.. haha (:
This week I have learned lots of lessons.  I remember when we were kids and we wouldn't listen to well, Dad would always ask us if our "ears were painted on?" I never really understood that until this week.  I mean, I knew what he meant, but I never really understood the significance of really listening until I got to Alabama.  Listening is probably the second most important part of missionary work.  With the spirit being number 1. However, I have really realized that that the two should actually be put together.  The most important thing is listening to the Spirit and listening to others.
I noticed that I sort of was struggling with that.  My Spirit "ears were painted on!"  
This resulted in a rut.  A missionary rut.  Because if you aren't listening to the Spirit in missionary work than you are sort of just working, and working, and working.  Yes, it is getting done, but not necessarily the Lord's way.
So this week I set a goal to do better.  The way to get your Spirit ears on right is to pray, a lot!  And then to get to work.  The weekend started off with a really good meeting where we talked about this exact thing.  Heavenly Father knew exactly what I needed to hear to sort of wake me up.  After that meeting we went tracting.  The thing with tracting is, that we don't do it to much.  It really isn't the best way, and it has been coldish and rainy. We prayed and asked for help to know where to go, and to be diligent enough to work hard, and to have enthusiasm while doing it.  We were guided to Coffee St. We knocked ever door on that street, and we had a lot of success!  One of the coolest tracted experiences that I have ever had!  As we were walking we saw this women getting out of a car.  So we went to talk to her!  We talked to her about prophets.  The first thing that she said was,
"That's true, isn't it?" YES!  "I knew that it made sense, but I just wasn't sure. But now I know. Thank you so much for telling me the truth!"
She went on to tell us that she had just had a conversation with her brother about prophets.  He said that there are none, and she told him that it really would make sense that there are.  She just didn't have any proof.  We gave her a Book of Mormon.  She was so excited to read it and show her brother it!  It was cool to see how prepared she was. MIRACLE!
That experience, followed by tons others this weekend, showed me the importance of listening to the Spirit.  It is vital, and it isn't second nature.  We are human, and we sort of have to train ourselves to do it.  Of course, it is a process.  I am on the same journey!  And I would invite y'all to join with me in getting on your Spirit ears! (no paint necessary!)
One other cool thing.  Have you heard of the book "The Power of Everyday Missionaries"?  Well, read it!  I haven't read it, but I have heard a lot about it!  One of the cool things that it says in there is to "Pick a date, not a person."  <-----THIS IS THE KEY!
Yes, share the gospel!  But no one knows WHO is prepared.  So I would invite you to take some time and think, not about a specific person, but just about inviting someone to take the missionary discussions, IN YOUR HOME.  Set a goal date for yourself.  (may I suggest 1 year) And then go out and talk to people about the gospel!  Invite people, and even if they say no.  Invite someone else!  Success comes from inviting, not by the number of yes' you get.
Be an everyday missionary everyday.
I love y'all BIG time.
Sister Casperson

No comments:

Post a Comment